Thursday, July 25, 2013

Highways

Overnight the wind blows hard and I watch the trees crash against one another over my car as thunder threatens a storm in the distance. By morning the storm has cleared and I make my way down to an open meadow to do some writing before leaving to visit my friend E in Arlington.
The empty mountain roads give way to the wide choked highways of DC and though I’ve only been away from town for a couple of days I feel a little overwhelmed by the tangle of highways stacked four high that I’m navigating.

E returns from work and we go buy some food to cook for some of his friends that will be stopping by that evening. Later we all sit out on the porch with beers and people watch as the workers in suits walk home from the metro and E plays his harmonica in harmony with a John Prine album.

No comments:

Post a Comment